Friday, January 22, 2010

2010 - It's a brand new year!

I can now say that I know what it's like when a man has worked a ranch for years, and put his blood and his sweat into building it into something, only to find hard times come up and force him to make a change ... a change that he is maybe not ready to make.

This has to be what it was like for cattle ranchers, years ago, when the need for cattle began to change. It just wasn't "profitable" to be a cattle rancher anymore! And things began to "dry up". The market changed. Even "cowboy'in" changed! These new fangled contraptions they called a "car" began to emerge, and the horse and the wagon were beginning to become obsolete!

I am finding today, after over 23 years in the computer industry, while working as both a consultant, and as employed, that this phase of my career, working in the computer technology field, is over. Oh sure, I have a lot of knowledge in the area, and I know things other folks would love to know, don't know, or need to know ... but finding a company that wants somebody like me (and is willing to pay for it) is a task that now has taken over 2 years, with no fruit. And I am growing weary of looking. I have a lot to give, but no place to "give it", at least where I could earn a good living ... in the computer field.

What did the cowboy do back then? When the way of life that he was used to began to dry up and fizzle away, right before his eyes ... what did he do? I'm sure the first thing he probably did was to take a long ride, on horseback, and see the countryside once again. Sometimes that's all a man needed to cheer him, and help him to come back revitalized! But in this instance, and in this situation, I think that "hope" is what was really needed!

Hope is a funny thing! If you have hope, you can stare down the world, as they take your car, your home, and all that you have, but only if you have true hope - only if you "know" that tomorrow, they'll be bringing it all back, because you've got a solution! You've got an answer! You can "see" the light at the end of the tunnel! You - have - hope!

But, there has to be an answer, a vision, a "dream" ... for a man to follow. He has got to see a light wayyyyy up there, at the end of the tunnel, or he will begin to lose hope. The quest is ... to find that hope! He must find that answer, that solution, that will bring him up and out of the tar pits that he now struggles with as he is making his way through!

"So, what 're ya' gonna do, cowboy?", you ask.

Well, for one thing, I'm going to continue writing!

If I keep writing, maybe one day I'll have something to publish! It's be nice to show a bunch of folks on this blog who "follow" it, and the many others that I write. It'd be nice to make a living at writing. So, at least with the writing ... I continue.

I have a book that I am working on now. It's called "the Prophet". It is a book about the five-fold ministry office of a prophet. I think it's time that a series of books on the 5-fold ministry be written so folks who are wanting to learn more will have a set of books to refer to. I plan to cover practical uses, practical application, and what the Bible says about the offices. What is a prophet today? What do they do? What is their temperament? What makes for a successful prophet?

I have noticed that today, we have kind of re-written the way God laid out the church to be. In the five-fold ministry, for instance, where is the Bishop? He's not in there - not in the five-fold ministry. Do you know why? Because the Bishop is among the "staff" of the church. He serves with the Elders, the Deacons, and those who help in the ministry of the church. His position is "under" the authority of the pastor. His job is as an administrator. He helps to administrate the church, and the different areas of ministry that it supports. But never, ever would he be "over" a pastor in authority!

Today, however, we are seeing an ever-growing trend of pastors who are laying down their five-fold ministry title as "Pastor", and are taking up the title "Bishop" in its place. This is not at all in line with scripture. A pastor can be a "bishop", in addition to his duties and position as a pastor, but a bishop cannot be a pastor! A bishop is "under" the authority of a pastor, and NOT the other way around!

But man has begun to write his own title and create his own structure, when the Bible clearly lays out the organization of the church in a different manner. I plan to cover these different offices, and then cover the church staff positions and motivational giftings, which would include among the deacons and elders, the position of administrator, or "bishop". We must get back to "Bible basics" in the management of the church, and in how we do things, if we ever expect God to honor what we are doing. We must go back to the instructions of the Chief.

So, that's where I am on the book writing. I am making good headway on it, so look for it soon. I plan to be finished, at least by April, so that I can have it reviewed, and critiqued by my peers. Look for my book, "the Prophet", to come out some time in the fall of this year (2010).

As far as the other question?
I'll have to let ya' know ...







Written by Richard A. Allcorn
© Copyright 2010 - All rights reserved.

For additional information on Rich Allcorn, please consult his online profile on Linked-In:
my personal online profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/richallcorn


For additional information, please consult the following websites:
my personal website
: http://www.richallcorn.org/
additional writings
: http://www.richallcorn.com/writer
our church website: http://www.wordchurch.info
our favorite cowboy church: http://www.wccowboychurch.org