Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Springing into the Summer Months!

Well the trees are greenin' up, 'n all the shrubs, bushes and vines are all looking their very best, thanks to the rains we've received in the past few weeks! Thank God for such a wonderful blessing! Oh, you can water your yard all day long, but just one dose of a good rain and the difference is obvious! It's the minerals in the water! It makes all the difference in the world.

I've now got to trim a few trees as their getting mighty anxious to overshadow my cooking area on the back porch! Now that's totally fine by me, as long as I've got some working room ... but some of these are just not high enough yet. They'd make great shade if they were taller. But such is the concerns and the considerations of the homeowner. Trimming, painting the house, replacing the fence, fixing the gates, replacing the pool, and getting a new roof (after the hail) ... ahhhh, the duties of owning a home.

It's not real big deal when you've got money coming in ... a steady, regular salary, two incomes, etc. But what if one of those stopped! What if you had to make "changes"? What if your 2 income family suddenly changed to a 1 income family? Tough huh! And yet I am seeing folks dealing with that very thing every day!

There are more and more "Dads" taking their kids to school now. What's wrong with that? Well, these Dad's don't look like their dressed to go to work ... big difference. I see them doing their morning runs now ... at times they'd normally be stuck in traffic on the way to work! I see them at the grocery store, at the schools pulling a "watchdog duty" (Dad's at school for the day) ... but deep down, I know what's going on. Like the season, times are changing.

I work in the IT field ... you know, computers. I've got more diversified talent than most folks you'd ever meet ... and yet, I'm in the same boat as those other guys I just mentioned. What is one to do? Well, as the cowboy would say ... while tipping his hat back, it's time to take another trail! If the path you've been following is always leading you in the wrong direction, it's time to choose another trail.

My wife and I were visiting some apartments the other day with a friend of ours. She's staying with us for a month - in between apartments - and will be moving in at these new ones in June. These are nice apartments! They've got everything I think my wife could ever ask for in a home, from the decor to the layout ... these guys are the "cats meow"! The utilities are a fraction of what we pay now, the cable is free, the add-on's (Internet, etc.) are not much more, and the amenities are excellent! My favorite is that the place is not full of young folks who have no respect for property, peace and quiet, and atmosphere. These residents are top notch!

What happened next just took me totally by surprise! We were just looking through the model 2 bedroom unit, when all of a sudden I found myself thinking about moving into one!! The scary thing was, there was such a peace about it all. I struggled to find a way to throw this out to my wife ... and finally I just said, "These look like they'd be real nice to live in!" My wife responded, "Yeah, she's gonna love it here!" I got bolder, "I was referring to us." And to my surprise, SHE had just had the same feeling of peace about the whole thing, even before we talked!

We discussed it more, and as I began to explore the situation I realized that the Holy Spirit was preparing me ... preparing me for a decision of "change". You know change is good! Anything that is alive changes ... if not, it's dead! God taught me that! So, does this mean that we are about to go through some change?

For years, God has been after me to get involved in ministry ... full time! The problem I have had with that is that I am concerned about being able to provide for my family. Now, I find myself in a situation where I really have no choice - I HAVE TO MAKE A CHANGE! I have to make a big career change. I might as well move in the direction that God has been wanting me to, right?

Well, I know that if I'm going to be involved in full-time ministry, and actually "DO" the things He's been laying on my heart to do, then I'm going to have to be able to provide for myself ... and not just "get by" either! I'm going to have to make "good money" at something! So, with the seasons that are changing ... now I too, must change.

In the Old West:
In the days of the Old West, things were not too much different then ... when times got tough, the men had to find "something", something different that they could do! The difference is folks stuck together more then. It was a "survival" thing ... you're out in the wilderness! There are no unemployment lines to bail you out. You needed your neighbors, and they needed you!

One big difference is, if things got really rough, you could load up the wagon and "camp" until you found something! It would be much like us all selling the homestead and loading up the motorhome and heading off to find something. You had a little more freedom in how you worked with your situation.

For example, your "motorhome" didn't need gas ... just "grass". You didn't have to pay a monthly insurance fee to drive it, you didn't have to register it every year, and you could park it just about anywhere you wanted to! Your vehicles, the horses, were reliable. Your only real expense was food! And that was not done by headin' t' the nearest McDonalds! You just build a fire, and dip into your stores of flour, beans and such, and make your dinner! Granted, its nice to be able to reach in the fridge and grab something, but all of that luxury costs you something! It costs you big time!

After talking about all of this I think I need some time to think, to consider, and to understand what God is doing, so that I am on-track with HIS plan. Since I'm off in my imaginary "lah lah land" already, I might as well enjoy it, right?

So hold that thought! I'm going to saddle up my horse, and ride off to some nearby hill, and think. As the gentle breeze meanders up through the trees, and the peaceful sound of the river nearby adds a certain peace to the setting, I will sit there in the saddle and watch the horizon as the sun begins to set. Nothing but the sound of the leather as I reposition myself, and of course the occasional low of a cow way off in the distance. The sound of the river off in the distance, the breeze, and the gentle setting of the sun ... and I listen. I will listen for that small still voice that has always so suredly guided me when I needed solid, sure direction. I will wait ... for Him.

See ya'll again next time!






Written by Richard A. Allcorn
© Copyright 2009 - All rights reserved.

For additional information, please consult the following websites:
Personal website - http://www.richallcorn.com
Additional posted writings can be found here - http://www.richallcorn.com/writer