Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Learn from the Caterpillar, and the Butterfly

To an old Indian friend ... 
It's been a while since I heard from you. Like the hunter who comes down from the mountains in the springtime, after a long winter, sometimes we just have to take time to renew old frienships, break out the peace pipe, and talk of the winters hunting.

We don't know each other that well, and though we have never formally met, my heart dances to the music in your words when you write, about nature, and about the ways of the man who enjoys God's wonderful creation. Thank you for your gift.

I, my friend, am in a time of change, when the things that once worked for me in the job market are no more. It is my time to learn from the caterpillar. At some point in his life, he must regroup and consider a new way of life for himself. He builds for himself a cocoon, and gets alone to ponder the changes of life he is facing.

When he is done, and Spring once again appears, he emerges a new creature, and discovers that his life is a beautiful thing! With the things he has learned, and with what he has now become, he finds that he is now a different creature, more beautiful than he was before!  And in the midst of all these new discoveries, he finds that he can now fly!  So the things that once were obstacles to him, and the things that he once feared, he is now able to soar over, like the eagle! Even the things that were once problems to him now all seem so small to his eyes, as he now flies overhead, passing them all by, with never a care in the world about them.

I must learn the way of the caterpillar, that I too might become like the butterfly, and discover the beauty like he has seen, in my world too! I too must learn to fly like the eagle, and soar over what once was my problems, and my fears, and let them be my concern no more! 

Thank you again for your words, and for being a friend to a cowboy you've never met.


-rich-