Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Medicine Man

There comes a time when a cowboy needs answers.  Most men will not ask for help, but will mutter through and deal with an issue until it gets really bad.  And that is what I've been doing ... muddling.  I've been staring at the problem and avoiding the answer that I knew was inevitable.  You might say that I've got to go to the "medicine man" to get my answers!

In the old days, a cowboy who was in good standing could go to the tride and see the "medicine man".  His more popular title was the "Holy Man".  The Holy Man was the man who spent almost all of his time seeking the "Great Spirit".  Now, because this Holy Man did not know Jesus in his heart, he was not always enlightened.  But surprisingly enough, even if he did not know Jesus, the Holy Man who spent that much time in seeking God, had wisdom!  And there were some who "had" encountered God because they sought Him with a pure heart!  God honored that, and they "knew" what it was like to spent time before the Great Spirit.  These Holy Men often had an earnest heart, and because they were truly "seeking" the Father, in whatever way they knew how, God would meet them halfway.  And the Holy Man?  He got his answers!

There are stories handed down in the Indian tribes that tells of "the great ones" of long ago.  One such person was a man called "Mee-sis".  We pronounce it today as "Moses".  That's right!  The Indians knew about Moses!  How do you think they knew?  Well, if Jesus showed up to set Saul straight so that he could find his calling and his purpose in life as "Paul, the apostle", don't you think that the Father would send Jesus to his people here in what we now call America?  Well He did, I assure you!

My medicine man, by the way, is Jesus.  That's right, I figure if I go to "Him" then I wont' get off on some journey or head down the path to the dark side, following a wrong trail.  Besides, Jesus won't make me smoke that "peace pipe" thing they sometimes use!  I'm not into those kind of visions ... but I do see visions, folks!  I do see visions. 

The "Great One" has been calling me to worship.  He has been calling me to minister.  And I have been waiting, because I did not have the people, or the funds, or even a place to meet ... but His Spirit keeps calling me, and drawing me ... and the calling will not go away!  I somehow knew it all along, but I let my beliefs stop me.  I believed that I needed "things" to make it happen.

An old wise one by the name of Oral Roberts (yes, he had Indian blood too!) used to say, "Dig a hole.  God will fill it!"  The wise one is right!  If we will be obedient to what God has called us to do, then as we "act" on His command, the provisions will begin to come.  Jerry Savelle puts it this way, "If it's mean to be, then it's up to me."  I believe that!  If God has called you to do something, just because it's not falling in your lap doesn't mean it wasn't God!  He asked "YOU" to do it ... so if you don't "get started", nothing will ever happen!

My new phrase?  God tells us that He will direct our paths.  He will guide us.  But He also tells me that a "parked car" is going nowhere.  What does that mean?  Have you ever tried to steer a car while it's parked!  It takes all of your strength (unless you're using power steering) just to turn the wheel!  But, if you'll begin to move, and begin driving, the steering gets much, much easier!  And, if you're "moving" then God can guide you.  Why?  Because without "motion", there is no "path".  God did promise that He would "guide your path".

So, the words from the Great Spirit, and my Medicine Man, is this:

"I have called you for a purpose and a vision ... the sands of time are falling, and time is growing short.  The son is old in the skies, and the night time is coming.  You have a purpose and a calling, and it is not YOU who are waiting on Me, but "I" am waiting ... waiting on YOU my son, and my daughter, to "step out" into the thing in which I have called you to do.

Stop waiting.  Stop waiting for these things that you feel you need.  They are but tools in the hands of the craftsman.  But you, when you begin to work, can do a-ny-thing.  Anything, my son and my daughter, you can do anything ... only believe.  Believe in Me and go forward!"  

Now, go in peace ... knowing that the Father is waiting on you! 
He's counting on YOU ... to get it started!  Once you begin, HE will finish it.  He will finish the work that He has called YOU to begin!

So, podner ... it's time to "saddle up and ride"!

Make me proud!